Monday, October 08, 2007

Dear Grandma...

It's been almost 9 decades you have been living in this world, with joy and sadness, through the thick and thin of times. One early Friday morning, you never woke up from your sleep anymore. Life is now never the same anymore without you. Photos of you and family members are now only etched in photo frames forever, albeit turning yellow with time. All the fond memories with you may have fade away with time but they have never been wiped off from our memories.

Remembering the time when I was a small boy, of about 4 to 5 years old, I was crying when my cries drove you out of your wits. You lighted a match and threatened me that you would burn my lips if I kept crying. I blew it off and cried even louder. You lighted the match again and did the same thing. But I have forgotten how I stopped crying then.

Another time, when you were our caretaker (mum and dad were out working at that time), you threatened to leave me and my sis (2 years younger than I am) when my sis and I quarrelled over some matters and to go to my aunt's house which was a stone's throw away. Not wanting you to leave us alone, my sis and I quickly resolved our quarrels and you came back into the house.

I remember once when I was a naughty little boy, running around the house and switched on all the lights and you frantically ran after me to switch off all the lights. Fortunately, the house was small, only a storey high and about 1,300 sq ft. But what happened after that, I don't quite remember much. Guess you were panting away and mad at me for being so naughty.

Well, there are so many fond memories we had had with you when you were our caretaker. I may have forgotten some of them now but I will never forget you. You will always be in my heart. All of us love you and miss you lots. I tried to control my tears during the funeral ceremony this morning but I couldn't. It just welled up in my eyes and I started sobbing away. You know all of us miss you a lot more. We are glad you did not suffer any pain or illness before your demise.

As the hearse moved along slowly, we followed you from home to your final resting place. After your coffin had been properly placed into the sarcophagus, we offered you our silent prayers and gave you the very last respect. As the sarcophagus was sealed off forever, we left without looking back anymore.

Rest in peace, my dear grandma. Goodbye.

10 comments:

daniel henry said...

my condolences to you and your family.
may your grandma rest in peace.
i wish i will end my life like how she did.

David The Man said...

Daniel Henry:
OK, condolence accepted. Thank you for the wish. Have a very nice day.

Ganymede said...

*hugs

This is such a sweet post remembering your grandparent.

David The Man said...

Queer Ranter:
Thank you for the compliments. And also thanks for linking my blog in your blog. Take care. Cheers, mate!

savante said...

My condolences.

David The Man said...

Savante:
Condolences received. Thank you.

Lau Niang said...

this is a truly touching post. Your grandma would have been so proud to have a granchild like you.

David The Man said...

Bibik Nyonya:
Thank you for the compliments. And I would especially like to thank my "popo" (i.e. my mum's mother), who has taken care of us (my mum, me and my sis) for the past many decades ago. We miss her a lot indeed. *sob... sob*

Janvier said...

We're sorry to hear about that. What a lovely post dedicated to her. Our condolences.

David The Man said...

Janvier:
Thank you for the compliments and your condolences well received. I have this blog dedicated to her because I love her. She has been taking care of us since we were young. We miss her a lot. *sob sob*